Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Dreaming of a Summer Night's Dream

When we moved into the house we have occupied for going on 18 years it was an exciting time. There was a park four houses down to explore with our near four year-old son and lots of challenges inside and out. One night we walked home from the park just in time to see dragonflies swarming across our yard. We're not talking ten or twenty, there were hundreds - I dare say thousands. It was sight to behold, all these dragonflies dancing across our yard. They brought glimmers of shades of blue and brilliant greens as the evening sun reflected across their bodies and wings. It took my breath away.

That happy memory was the inspiration our newest keepsake box.

With all the negativity in our daily lives, I wanted to create something that symbolized the good times. While there are some negative connotations of the symbolism of dragonflies, I prefer to look at the positives. Different cultures believe that dragonflies symbolize: agility, victory, prosperity, harmony, good luck, happiness, speed and purity. Those concepts are just what I need some days how about you?

Wouldn't this keepsake box with dancing dragonflies make a great graduation gift,
or even a gift for someone who just got a new job. It's a great reminder of the things to come.
With the dragonfly theme in mind I went searching and found this great necklace by Black Sheep Beadery. She makes one of a kind beaded jewelry and has a great selection of items.

"Fly Away With Me" by Black Sheep Beadery

My other favorite would have to be this contemporary dragon fly painting by Susanna Shap at Modern House Art. It is truly a beautiful piece.


"Original Abstract Contemporary Fine Art- textured dragonfly flower modern palette knife painting" by Susanna Shap of Modern House Art

28 comments:

  1. Wow these are all so beautiful! And I love your symbolism

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love dragonflies! And owls and black cats, these are among the cutest things in the world:) Connotations are all subjective, I'm sure in their world a pendant with a man on it would have a bad connotation!:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. That must have been magical to see all those dragonflies dancing across your lawn! They are fascinating. And your new keepsake box is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That must have been an amazing site!! LOVE your items - simply beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your new keepsake box!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dragonflys are my absolute favorites. Fantastic blog and Thank You for the smile.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love all the dragonflies you've featured. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love those dragonfly items. In all truth though, if I had seen that many dragonflies in one place it would have freaked me out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think the dragonfly is playful but elegant and looks gorgeous on your new box. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I've always loved dragonflies on jewelry and accents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That is just beautiful! I love butterflies, dragonflies, and bumblebees. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  12. That keepsake box is beautiful! I love dragonflies too and have also walked into a field of thousands swarming when I was a little kid. Unfortunately I couldn't catch a single one. Figures :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a wonderful story. I too am enthralled by flitting dragonflies.
    Thank you so much for including one of my pieces in your lovely story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful items and story behind why you choose the dragonfly! Lots of people out there search for dragonflies! I know, I've sold a few myself!
    Very nice!
    Carol from Carol's Jewelry Orchard

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love dragonflies! I have a dragonfly tattoo on my hip....love the symbolism!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love dragonflies! Love the keepsake box.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love dragonflies!!! Great selection

    ReplyDelete
  18. All things are as you feel they should be. Your dragonflies are wonderful and positive because that is how you feel. Everything is in the intent.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love dragonflies! Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am sooo in love with your dragonfly keepsake box. omg! I love it so much!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great story and your box is beautiful, as well as the other dragonfly finds!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the dragonflies and the story behind them.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great story! Dragonflies also bring back nice memories for me of summers at my family cottage where there was a tree stump where hundreds of dragonflies lived and our yard was always full of them!

    ReplyDelete